Sunday, March 20, 2011

First skinned knee

Yes, it's a slow news day around here, but I thought I'd let everyone know Isaiah skinned his knee for the first time. He and I were on a walk and we started practicing jumping. He occsionally (accidentally) gets both feet off the ground at once, and this time he didn't land so well. He handled well though, quite a tough little fellow really.

He says some cute things sometimes. He always wants us to go upstairs to play with him because that's where his race tracks are. So he'll pull and pull on you towards the stairs. Then if you say "Do you want to go upstairs?" He says "Oh, okay!" as if it was your idea all along.

He can't say Eliza's name; he calls her "Gaga" instead. Every time he says "Gaga" we say "yes, that's E-li-za" but he hasn't made any progress yet. It's been funny because Jerel and I are both anti-baby-talk, not on any serious moral grounds, but just because it seems silly and annoying. We just call things what they're actually called, unlike my little sister who adds a "y" sound on the end of every word she says to her kids "Clary, come cuddy with mommy and we can coly" which means "Clara, come cuddle with mommy and we can color." At our house you would hear "Isaiah, come sit with mom and we'll color." Yep, we're boring like that. Of course we're not opposed to other people using baby talk with their kids--it gives us something to make fun of :) Anyway, despite all of our efforts to avoid baby talk, Zay says "mommy" and "daddy" and "booky" and a few others that I can't think of. I actually think it's kind of interesting. Maybe there is something to baby talk after all, since he comes up with these on his own, and we never reinforce the incorrect way of saying it, but he sticks with it anyway. I'm sure there's a good infant linguistics book I should read or something. (Oh, and by the way, I don't think "mommy" and "daddy" are incorrect, and I don't mind them at all, it's just interesting to me that although we never refer to each other that way, he's done it on his own.) (Oh, and also by the way, when I was younger I always thought for sure I would only have my children call me "mother." So for those of you who think I'm uptight, I am, but at least I've loosened up a bit.)

My favorite thing he's said lately happened a couple of weeks ago. He and I had gotten up (he gets up between 6 and 7) and were enjoying time reading books together and just having a fun morning. Then I heard Eliza starting to wake up and I thought "Oh man, Isaiah and I were having such a good time together, and now it'll all be interrupted. Ugh." But I didn't say that because I try to not complain about my children to my children. So I had to laugh when Zay said, in a very disappointed tone and with his little brow furrowed, "Oh. Gaga awake." followed by a heavy sigh.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: