Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Independence Day

 I'm on a personal quest to restore the term "Independence Day" to its rightful place.  No one would call Christmas "The 25th of December" so I don't get why we've renamed Independence Day as "The 4th of July."  Please spread the word.

The last couple of years we've been in Utah for Independence Day, but this year we were still in Oregon.  Our town has a charming little parade each year and I was excited to attend it for the first time.  Luckily for me, someone else invited Jerel to attend (because if I was the one inviting him we probably would've stayed home--he's not a parade fan.  And trying to persuade him with the joys of bad marching bands doesn't help; I've tried.)

Anyway, we went with Elizabeth.  She's a co-worker of Jerel's, LDS, and although single she adopted a little girl umm, I'm not sure, 5 years ago?  Anyway, they used to be in our stake, but moved out to the neighborhood we're building in a couple years ago.  So Elizabeth's been our go-to gal for for all things Springville.

Also there was a family Elizabeth has known for quite a while.  They just sold their home, which coincidentally was just a couple of blocks from our old home, and are also moving to the same neighborhood we're moving to.  They have a 4-year-old little boy.  So that was our group, watching the parade.  It was fun to see.  One particularly awesome feature is this old people band we have.  If marching bands are nerdy, and old people are nerdy, then imagine the awesomeness of this marching band of old people.....there's also an old people flag team and a couple cheerleaders.  The best part is how embarrassed Jerel will be someday when I join up.  I'm a good marcher, what can I say?  



No comments: