Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hooray for no surgery!

Some people say their kids are a pain in the bum.  Our kid has a pain in his bum.  Our pediatrician told us it was an abscess and it quickly healed on its own.  Then it came back, so we took him back to the doctor.  She told us he would most likely need surgery to repair it because it went all the way in to his insides.  She set up an appointment for us with a pediatric surgeon while I was busy panicking.  Today was the Big Day.  On the way to the appointment Isaiah was a bit fussy so I started singing songs to him.  (Actually he was fine, I was the fussy one who needed distraction).  I started singing the "Found a Peanut" song.  It was all great until I got to the verse "had an operation" which is followed by the verse "died anyway."  Wrong song choice.

As it turns out Isaiah doesn't need surgery.  The surgeon said that probably what will happen is that the abscess will come and go but after a year or so it will heal on its own without the need for any intervention.  He said they used to always do surgery on them but have since figured out that it isn't really necessary.  He also mentioned that it is a "neat surgery" that it's "fun to do."  That's good to know...if Isaiah's doesn't resolve itself after a year and he ends up needing surgery, I'm glad to know that at least the surgeons will be enjoying themselves.

I'm so glad he doesn't need surgery!  I have spent the last few days worried, and not my normal overreaction worrying...sometimes a doctor can say something like "yep, it looks like you have a hang nail that's a little inflamed" and I know what he means by "inflamed" is "infected" and the look on his face (regardless of what it is) clearly indicates that it's not just any infection, but rather a serious, severe, and possibly even lethal infection.  I realize, without anyone saying anything, that they will probably have to amputate my finger, and actually most likely they'll take off my whole arm just to be safe...Anyway, this time the worrying was legitimate because the doctor had actually said he would need surgery. 

I was going to find a drawing of what he has and post it but when I did a search for images I got a message saying it had been blocked by my computer's obscene images filter.  You can read a bit about what Isaiah has here if you're really bored. 

No comments: