Monday, September 27, 2010

Rex Barrus Weber 5 May 1922 - 25 September 2010

Jerel's grandpa passed away this weekend after losing a battle with Parkinson's.  We were able to visit him with Isaiah when we were in Utah this summer and I'm glad we took the time to do that. 

Rex married Fern in 1947 and they spent most of their lives on their dairy farm in Freedom, Wyoming.  I have only been there once, but Jerel spent time there as a kid.  His grandparents would pay the grandkids for working on the farm, but Jerel confessed that he hated farm work so instead his grandma would pay him for cooking!  We were blessed to have Rex & Fern attend our wedding in 2006.  They shared a table at dinner with my grandparents and they got along so well--they had a lot in common and my grandma tells me by the end of the meal they were eating off each other's plates and just having a great time.

Rex and Fern recently moved from the farm in Freedom to a darling home in Preston, ID where one of their daughters live.  Rex was in an assisted living facility really close to the house and Fern spent all her time with him.  We'll be leaving Tuesday for Utah and will drive up to Freedom for memorial services. 

Last year I scanned a bunch of Jerel's old photos and in the pile was Rex's baby book.  You can see it all here.  There is one page with a poem by George Cooper that I liked:

Only beginning the journey,
Many a mile to go--
Little feet, how they patter,
Wandering to and fro!
Father of All, oh guide them,
The pattering little feet,
While they are treading the uphill road
Braving the dust and heat!
And then when they grow weary,
Keep them in pathways blest
And when the journey is ended,
Savior, oh, give them rest!

1 comment:

Eric and Sarah said...

My condolences. I lost my grandfather to Parkinson's four months ago. It's a terrible disease. I'm glad you guys were able to see him over the summer.