Monday, June 28, 2010

Painting the kitchen

For some reason we never really thought about how we'd have to paint the kitchen as part of the remodel. We knew some walls were coming out, the light fixtures were changing, and there would be drywall work done, but none of these facts actually led us to consider the inevitability of painting. So last week they installed the cabinets, and then today they are starting tile. Once the painting idea struck, I decided I'd rather paint before the floors go down so I wouldn't have to worry about drips.

Jerel got to spend lots of quality time with Isaiah while I spent hours taping off the cabinets and such. We picked a nice beige-y color. Actually the guys at Miller Paint picked it. I took in the floor tile and the cabinet color and had them tell me what color to paint it. It turned out pretty nice I think. Isaiah was furious because he wasn't allowed in that area for two whole days. Of course now that he's allowed back in, he has no interest in being back there.

I had a major accomplishment with this project. I wanted to do the painting, but the guy who's going to patch the drywall wasn't going to come before I wanted to start. There was one 6" hole from the electrician, as well as some other smaller dings in the walls. I convinced Jerel to let me attempt to repair the walls, but save the ceiling work for the drywall guy. Actually I don't think I convinced him, I think I just did it and we both knew if I really screwed it up the drywall guy could always redo it when he came. Anyway, the big patch turned out great! If you know where to look you can sort of see it, but you'd never notice it otherwise. Even Jerel conceded I'd done a good job. Hopefully this does a little bit to redeem my handy-man (handy-mandy?) reputation after the electrical work mishap . . . I like attempting projects like this and it was nice that it actually worked out this time!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Erika said...

Great job patching the wall. I am not that ambitious. I do like to paint, though. Call me if you ever need a painting buddy.