Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Vanity Sizing

Have you heard of it? It's when brands label their clothing with smaller sizes so that women will want to buy it because they'll feel better about themselves wearing a smaller size. I'm not making this up, they really do it. And it really works--I've avoided buying things when a bigger size would've been perfect just because I don't want to wear that bigger size. If the tag had said something else I would've bought it.

Now I know girls feel the pressure to be tiny earlier and earlier these days, but I was surprised to find out that vanity sizing has apparently hit the newborn market. This picture shows Eliza, laying next to a pair of tights I bought for her. The tights are labeled "0-9 months." They are as long as her whole body! If Jere weren't so against me dressing Isaiah as a girl, I could've put them on HIM for a much better photo. I mean, really, they would maybe even be a bit big on Zay and he wears size 18 month.

Anyway, I don't really think this is vanity sizing unless there are 18-month-old girls out there who feel better about themselves because they can squeeze into a size 0-9 month...I just feel the need to point out the ridiculousness of these tights and to explain why my daughter will go to church with bare legs every Sunday until she finally grows into the smallest size tights I could find...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

kathleen said...

I wrote a post about "vanity sizing" as it relates to children's wear after another mom wrote a post similar to yours. You might want to take a look at it. It's called Vanity sizing: generational edition pt.2. Part one was about elderly japanese women whose average height is under 5 foot and whether their claims of modern japanese clothing being vanity sized is legitimate considering younger people are at least 5" taller and they buy a lot more clothes. Pt. 2 is more of the same sort of thing but applied to infants clothing, sorting out confirmation bias etc. I hope you find it enlightening.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I came here on a search about vanity sizing. As a mom of two, I think that what these sizes are about are (1) bigger babies and (2) the difficulty of selling things in the three-month range. I know I personally had a tendency to buy things in the 0-6 months range, even if they were big for a few months (okay, half the months of wear), rather than things baby would outgrow right away. Plus, have you ever met "that mom" who brags about her child being in 24 month clothes already (and he's only nine months old)? I think vanity in the baby clothing market is well-established.

That said, your children are truly adorable. Congratulations on your beautiful little ones.