Thursday, July 29, 2010

Incompetent Dad Seeks Help

Meet Dave.  Dave is Jerel's sister Karee's husband.  Dave has two main loves in his life (aside from wife & kids) namely BYU football and food.  When does Dave come visit us?  Only when BYU is playing in the northwest.  What does Dave want to do while he's at our house?  Try all the good restaurants and have Jerel cook his latest recipes and me make desserts.  It's all part of his charm.  It's actually refreshing for me because Jerel doesn't like food (seriously.  He will stop eating and I ask if he's full and he says "no, I'm just bored of chewing.  This is something I cannot understand) so it's fun to talk to someone who appreciates it as much (okay, more) than I do!  When Jerel and I first got married Jerel wasn't really aware of how much Dave liked to talk about food, but I pointed it out to him and it's fun to listen to group conversations.  Someone will say "So I was in New York watching the world series ..." and Dave will say "oh, did you go to such-and-such restaurant?  They have the best authentic Mexican cuisine..." and go into a full description.  Or you say "Hey, remember at our wedding..." and Dave finishes with "when you had that great salmon at the luncheon?"  It is pretty funny.  In truth Dave has many fine qualities, but they aren't fun to make fun of, and teasing people is mostly what my blog is all about.  So when Dave asked why he was never on my blog I told him it was because he needed to give me something good to make fun of him for.  I didn't have to wait long...

We met Karee & Dave for dinner
and Dave mentioned that he and Isaac (their oldest, 5 years old) were building a rocket (Isaac LOVES rockets) but they had gotten stuck and were hoping Uncle Jerel could help them finish it up.  Isaac asked if Uncle Jerel had ever been in a rocket to outer space, which he hasn't, but he was pretty sure he'd be able to help anyway.  So after dinner they brought the rocket over.  Dave pulled out the instructions and said "So it looks like we're stuck on step, um, let me see, oh Step 1."  I think they had basically gotten the package open and that was all...luckily Jerel makes a pretty good impromptu rocket scientist and he and Isaac were able to succesfully build it, while at the same time making Dave feel like he was contributing!

1 comment:

BeHappyHome said...

TOUCHDOWN!! I am now famous. Even though I made your blog for incompetence I will take it. (Thanks for throwing in that I have many fine qualities other than Football and Food. Maybe one day when you realize if that is really true you could write about them.) Thanks again for your humour. You are one of the few CPA's I know with a sense of humour. Thanks! Dave ;)